Rig 142 is a highly mobile drilling rig capable of working efficiently in extreme arctic conditions. Like most new drilling rigs commissioned for work in the oil and gas industry, Rig 142 contains state of art equipment that is highlighted by a fully automated driller’s cabin and modern AC technology.
It is a fully integrated, multiple module rig that can drill on various well spacing’s of 10 feet to 30 feet. The rig layout consists of five individual modules, resulting in lightweight components that can be efficiently moved from pad-to-pad, while maintaining heat in each module.
The substructure module consists of the mast, rig floor with equipment, BOP stack, choke manifold and moving system, which cantilevered, combined loads 400K setback, 750K Rotary Drilling Module Ground level to Rig floor is 39 feet.
The pipe shed complex houses the pipe skate and scissor lift to handle pipe. The pipe shed can hold 680,000lbs of pipe during drilling operations. Level 3 of the pipe shed contains meeting, office spaces and a training room for use by the rig crew.
The mud pit module uses an innovative hopper style pit design that holds 1,120 barrels of mud tankage. This module also contains centrifugal pumps, a manual valve system, and solids control equipment.
The mud pump module contains two NOV 12P-160 triplex mud pumps, 2-125 HP boilers, closed loop heat exchanger, and parts storage.
The engine module consists of three Caterpillar 3512C Gensets, and 1 C27, coupled to Kato generators, air compressors, highline transformer and external radiators.
Rig 142’s Drill Support Modules are trailer mounted, and use oilfield trucks for moving. This configuration minimizes module weights and allows for faster moving speeds over long distances. Each module has a towable wheel suspension system for short distance for well-to-well moves.
The mast is a cantilever hook load design with a capacity of 750,000lbs, with a twelve-line hook up, and the substructure is capable of a combined load of 400,000 lbs. setback and 700,000lbs rotary capacity.
Mast – Cantilever, 142’ clear x 25’ spread, 750K, and a racking capacity of 20,000’ of 4”
Drawworks – National Oilwell Varco (NOV), SSGD 360, 2300HP, 30” drum fitted is with 1-3/8” Lebus grooving
Block – Short profile, becket style, top drive integrated, rated at 400 tons
Drill Line Power Spooler – Contains 1 3/8” Drilling Line
Top Drive – National Oilwell Varco (NOV) TDS-11SA 800 HP, rated at 500 Ton
Intermittent – 55,000 foot pounds
Continuous – 25RPM to 125RPM, 37,500 foot pounds
150RPM – 29,500 foot pounds
175RPM – 24,500 foot pounds
200RPM – 21,000 foot pounds
225RPM – 18,000 foot pounds
Rotary Table – National Oilwell Varco (NOV), RT 27 ½” opening, rated at 650 tons static, hydraulic driven
Power slips – National Oilwell Varco (NOV), hydraulic “Back Saver” power slip
Drillers Cabin – National Oilwell Varco (NOV), Amphion System, touch screen controls, fully enclosed
Choke Manifold – 3 1/8” x 5000 psi, 2 1/16” x 5,000 psi, remote operated hydraulic choke
Manual Tongs – 2 each with multiple jaws 3 ½” to 17 ½”
Iron Roughneck – National Oilwell Varco (NOV), ST-100
Subfloor Catheads – 2 each hydraulic for tong make-up and break-out
Floor Winches – 2 each 12k, hydraulic
Personnel Winch – 1 each, certified
Floor Access – Beaver slide
Casing Stabbing Board – 1 each
Primary Power – 3 each, Caterpillar 3512C, coupled to Kato 1750 kVA, 0.7 pf, total available constant horsepower at 1200 RPM / 60 Hz is 4,430 bhp, corresponding to a total of 3300 kw
Stand-By Power – Caterpillar C27, rated at 725 kW
Hi Line Power – 1 each, 13.8 kV to 600 volt step- down transformer, 5000 kVA
Mud Pumps Complex
Mud Pumps – 2 each, National Oilwell Varco (NOV), 12P-160 triplexes, rated at 1600 hp input.
- 6 inch – 4665 psi maximum, 529 gpm / 12.6 bpm @ 120 strokes per minute
Mud Pits Complex
Mud Pit Volumes – 1,000 bbls active / 120 bbls storage
Shakers – 3 each, Derrick, DP 628 HG
Vacuum Degasser – 1 each, Burgess, Magna-Vacuum 1000
Atmospheric Gas Buster – 1 each
Shearing Hoppers – 1 each, Vortex Aqua-shear hopper
Mix Hopper -1 each, SWACO Sidewinder
- Vacuum and power wash system for general clean up
- Mud Lab for on-site mixing by the Mud Engineer
BOP and Spools
- 1 each, Hydril annular, 13 5/8” x 5000 psi, model GX, flanged, NACE trim
- 2 each, Hydril, single gate, 13 5/8” x 5000 psi, flange x flange, NACE trim
- 1 each, Hydril, single gate, 13 5/8” x 5000 psi, stud x stud, NACE trim
- 2 each, Hydraulic Work Platforms
- 1 each, Choke and Kill Line
BOP Closing Unit – 1 each, 7 stations, 3000 psi, accumulator unit, remote located in driller cabin
BOP Test Pump – 10,000 psi, variable triplex pump with dedicated test fluid tank and digital recorder
- 3 each, Sullair , 60hp, heavy duty screw compressors
- 2 each, Air dryers, Parker / Dominick-Hunter
- 3 each, Air receiver tanks, ASME rated to 200 psi, 36″ x 92″ (240 Gallon)
- 2 each, 125 HP, closed loop, saturated steam boiler complete with dual float controls, dual water pumps, and dual fuel (methane and diesel) burner, hot oil capable with plate exchanger.
- 1 each, Water softener w/upstream sand filter
- 4 each, Indirect fired air heaters (will provide heat to individual complexes with distribution plenums)
- 2 each, Water tanks, 400 barrel
- 2 each, 3″ x 4″ x 25 HP centrifugal pumps for water system circulation
- 1 each, Double walled, regular diesel storage tank in pipe shed, mud pit, mud pump and engine complexes
- 1 each, Dedicated fuel tank in the engine complex with fuel pumps
- 2 each, Winslow diesel fuel filters for master tank in engine complex
- 1 each, Winslow diesel fuel filter in the mud pump complex
- 1 unit, containing 3 closed center hydraulic pumps, providing power to the Iron Roughneck, catheads, rotary table, tuggers, wheel suspensions, BOP handling and other devices
- 1 each closed-center HPU system for the pipe skate and pipe scissor lift elevator
- 1 each, open-center master hydraulic unit in each complex
- 1 each open-center HPU to operate Elevator and Scissor lift for mud sack handling to the shaker module
Pipe Handling System
- 1 each, Hydraulic pipe handling system with skate to handle drill pipe and casing
- 1 each, Overhead electric chain fall for handling tools and tubular